Dudes. Dudes… Duuuuuuuudes! I so cannot move my neck today after The White Stripes concert last night in St. John’s. I’ve got to tell you, if you missed them on their cross-Canada tour, you’re a sucker. I feel somewhat attached to them and self-righteous because I first discovered them years ago, around 2000, in NYC where all the truly cool people live, and so was listening before they had the stature (and production values) they have now. But this show was raw. I’ve seen some pretty big, awesome shows in my day — GnR, Metallica, Bowie, the Hip, Oasis, Hole, Sonic Youth, the Beastie Boys, Radiohead, the Cure, Green Day, Suicidal Tendencies, blah blah blah — hell, I’ve even seen Neil Young, April Wine, Cheap Trick, CCR, Triumph, etc. — but I’ve NEVER seen so much rock and roll come out of two people. It was like watching some crazy shaman of cool simultaneously channel the spirits of Chuck Berry, Johnny Lee Hooker, Sid Vicious, Janis Joplin, and Kurt Cobain. And they were all fighting for control of his body at once.
Anyway, so here’s a roundup of links for you while I heal neck.
- More fighting around the Dorothy Parker antho
- Comics books — not just for kids anym—SHUT THE FUCK UP!
- Comic books in deep twubble?
- Forward Prize shortlist announced
- Wine and words
- Mini-penis scares North America almost as much as liquids in suit cases and nail clipper (from Jessa)
- Harry and Raincoast, the future of a company
- The battle for Derrida’s papers
- 10 newspapers that do it right (from Ed)
- Harry audiobook talent keeps ending a secret
- Rowling’s prose is “toxic”
- American author’s home embargoed in Cuba